Tuesday, August 08, 2006

FTP $20+$2 SNGs: Questioning my Play

I didn't like my play on the river on this hand, so I decided to ask Huck about it. He thinks I was too passive on the river, and just generally uncreative in general (the uncreative is my spin on his lecture), anyone have any thoughts:


Full Tilt Poker Game #875931388: $20 + $2 Sit & Go (5855852), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:28:28 ET - 2006/08/08
Seat 1: XmacmanX (1,545)
Seat 4: green96 (1,320)
Seat 6: Virge (1,470)
Seat 7: rricsal (1,500)
Virge posts the small blind of 15
rricsal posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Virge [As 3s]
mtgmaker7 folds
kirari folds
XmacmanX calls 30
FoldsAllTheTime folds
green96 calls 30
scheme36 folds
Virge calls 15
rricsal checks
*** FLOP *** [Ah 2s 8d]
Virge bets 100
rricsal folds
XmacmanX calls 100
green96 calls 100
*** TURN *** [Ah 2s 8d] [7s]
Virge bets 340
XmacmanX folds
green96 calls 340
*** RIVER *** [Ah 2s 8d 7s] [Td]
Virge checks
green96 bets 480
Virge has 15 seconds left to act
Virge calls 480
*** SHOW DOWN ***
????

Hucks Thoughts:
ColdE: k first of all you played this way too passive
ColdE: on the flop you get two calls, you should assume you're in trouble
ColdE: not big trouble, but pry not winning if you get to showdown
ColdE: then turn is tricky
ColdE: I almost want to check it
ColdE: then possibly lay it down
ColdE: honestly I think you overplayed there
ColdE: the way you've played it up until then, you have to check fold on the river
ColdE: he's not betting enough to not have something that beats you
ColdE: I would've done this
ColdE: well actually I would not have gone for this pot
ColdE: but if I did, this is how I would have done it
ColdE: call preflop
ColdE: bet 60-80% pot on the flop
ColdE: most likely check raise big on the turn
ColdE: basically rep a rag tag two pair or a set
fulltiltvirge: so betting it out was too passive?
ColdE: on the river callng was too passive
fulltiltvirge: ah
ColdE: that's what I was referring too my bad
ColdE: there's no way you should ever ever call in that spot imo

2 Comments:

Blogger Huck said...

Basically here's my whole thing, you're in one of three situations:
A) you're ahead and he's a donk
B) you're behind but your opponent isn't extremely strong
C) you're fucked.

In situations A & B you need to be beating the pot about the head face and neck with raises and reraises, in situation C you need to fold like they're on fire.

1:43 PM, August 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would probably check the flop and evaluate based on the action.

It's an uncoordinated flop, so you don't really feel good about getting two callers. I would consider firing out a smaller blocking bet on the turn against unthinking opponents. Against a single opponent, I might check raise the turn.

6:38 PM, August 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home