Sunday, September 07, 2008

36 Hours In Vegas

The traditional 24 hour day doesn't really exist as a formal measure of measuring time in Vegas, especially for a poker player. Barring a tournament that you want to play, there are no formal constraints on your time. I would say you go to sleep when you're tired, but it's more like you sleep when you can't stay awake any longer or the game breaks.

My previous "day" started around 3:40 PM (on a Thursday by normal standards) and ended at 3:35 AM (Saturday morning by normal standards). I got out of bed with the intention of cashing a Full Tilt check and paying a bill before the normal businesses closed at 5, but alas I spent too long talking poker to Lusky so I missed that.

After walking the dog, eating, and showering I put in about 1500 hands online; I had plenty of energy to play longer, but I was feeling restless and decided to go out to play live. My friend Josh was at the Wynn putting in hours for their $2,500 giveaway promotion, but I really wanted to do the new Hard Rock room again so I went there.

Unfortunately, I promptly lost all of the cash I had on me ($580), mostly with AK, but the rest with a flush under flush. Fun times. I was broke and hungry by dawn so I sent a text to Josh to see about breakfast. He told me to come to the Wynn and we'd do the Wynn breakfast buffet.

I got there before the buffet opened, so I borrowed $800 from Josh and sat at the only $1/$3 table running. The first hand I play I both river a straight and get rivered by a higher gutshot draw, and of course value own myself. Overall though, I basically broke even for an hour while we waited. Josh was was on the receiving end of a stock pitch (lol), complete with flow charts and stuff, from a broke Wynn gambler during that time. Fun times!

The breakfast buffet was out of this world good. I mainly devoured their smoked salmon, but they had just about anything you have heard of as a breakfast food, and probably a lot of stuff you haven't.
mmmm Salmon!

First big hand back at the tables I flop QUADS on a 997 flop and cooler a guy who was unfortunate enough to have pocket sevens, and after that I win another $200 over multiple pots from a guy playing about 70% of his hands, and playing them badly. I broke him in one hand where I raised enough with KdQs to put a limper/fish all in, and he called off half his stack with 8s6s. The fish called as well, and the flop came down AsKsTs, and the 70 VPIP guy shoves his last chips into me. Hmm.. I'm getting 3-1 with a royal flush draw and second pair, I guess I call. He was quite pissed and wondered how I could call his shove with just a flush draw. Alrighty then, good game!

Josh has a tough life as a Wynn (mostly) grinder by the way. All the staff know him and seem to love him. He has his own box(!!!!!!!). With as many hours as he puts in he gets great comped food. He was only up $400 for the "day" when I saw him at dawn, but by the time he finished at 10pm, he was up $4kish at 2/5. Not a bad 24 hour session.
Josh has a tough life

The highlight in terms of excitement of the session was Micheal Phelps showing up to play some $1/$3. He kept his head covered with his hood almost the whole time so I couldn't get a good picture without being a jerk.
Phelps in blue hoodie

By 2pm I was falling asleep in between hands, and even though the game was good I decided to pack it only down $80 live. I paid Josh back and headed home. Lusky and I watched a few hours of the 2008 WSOP and watched my friend StoneTemplPilot own WCGrider in a 3 table 200nl HU grudge match. GG STP.
Almost unstuck

Around dusk I convinced Lusky to go to RoadRunner Cowboy around the corner. I can't believe I haven't tried this place before. It's almost good enough that it'd fit in well in Austin. They have two bowling lanes, two pool tables, video poker, and... SHINER Bock on draft. How can you go wrong there?

Heidi met us at RoadRunner and we all went to Half Shell to get some food. I didn't have my camera, but this place was really good, just as good as Shuck's, but in a different way. We had a dozen raw oysters (with horshradish and tabasco of course), shrimp and blue crab nachos, clam strips, and grilled scallops. An amazing amount of food, and cheap!

After we got back home I was ready to play, but way too tired, so I hit the sack at 3:35 and realized it'd been quite a 36 hour "awake period."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home